Friday, April 01, 2005

The Wisconsin Badger: More Than a Mascot!

Via Hardass, I tracked down a useful article by Hamermesh (Centennial Professor of Economics, University of Texas at Austin and thesis advisor of a to-remain-anonymous colleague/mentor/advisor in my department) that relates to a discussion following this posted letter that I received from a student.

Let me quote an interesting passage:

I've seen male students attempt to bully young professors, especially women, into allowing more points on exams, providing extra exam time, postponing exams and other grade-badgering. This subtle, and often less subtle coecion doesn't belong in a university. Givinig in to such requests often means more work for you and gives the student the idea that he (once in a while she) can play the system. You are the authority, and erring on the side of toughness with such students will save you further troubles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In some ways, I understand the grade badgering, what with the increasing corporatization of the university. I encounter on somewhat of a frequent basis the belief that "I paid for this grade," meaning the student feels that because s/he paid tuition, s/he should get at least a B+ average.

But understanding doesn't make me sympathetic. I start to feel like an old codger, thinking, "well when I was in college, I worked three jobs, and I took the grades I earned!" ("Razzle frazzle!") (That last statement is my old codger expletive.)

Plus I like myself more when I stick to my guns.