Monday, September 17, 2007

Chequamegon

Sorry for the lack of posts as of late. It's been a bit busy here what with the back-to-school festivities that at least two of us have going on. That and my first attempt at the "Short and Fat" mountain bike race at the Chequamegon National Forest in up-state Wisconsin.

I helped to make some lemonade from lemons as a friend's knee went bad while training for the race. She was kind enough to let me take her number (which, incidentally, reported my results in a category that was 10 years my junior!).

How was the race you might be asking?

Well, I'm a usual regular biker (at least for much of the summer) but with full-time care of Big and Seven, I got in (literally) less than 50 miles. That is, 50 miles THIS SUMMER! Including the round-the-lake-with-Burly-in-tow-for-a-picnic variety. So let's just say that the race, for me was mostly about either snailing my way up a hill or just hanging on (on more than one occasion I would look down to see my saddle actually between my legs. . . That is, without my rear end on it as it was FOLLOWING my bike down the extremely steep and rocky hill at hand).

I'm up for it again next year though, hoping to beat my 1 hour 40 minute time and my 607/824 placing.

No comments: