Monday, June 09, 2008

Two and a Half

I tremble a bit as you approach and pass the 1/2 year mark as Eight is usually a bit more trouble on the second-halves of her years.

There's no doubt that you're a little more challenging as of late. But as usual, your tantrums, while loud, are short in duration. At Target the other day you were screaming for one of those items in the checkout lane when I started singing "You can't always get what you wah-ant!" and now, whenever I say I want a kiss from you, or for you to put on your pants, or for you to go to bed, you repeat it back to me.

I can see this is going to be a challenging adolescence where you're concerned as well. I can just imagine you telling me this when it comes to you perhaps graduating from high school with something over a 2.0 average, attending college, and doing all of this PRIOR to getting some gal pregnant. "Nope" you'll say insouciantly, "You just can't always get what you want." And I'll think "DAMN! Maybe I should've just BOUGHT those friggin M&M's in the checkout lane way back when you were TWO!"

You are also very sweet and surprisingly helpful. I planted two new trees in the back yard recently and have been obsessed with watering them (despite the daily storms we've been having). So, the other day after I had drug the hose out to the trunks you ran up to the spout and exclaimed that you were going to help me by turning on the water.

It is amazing as a parent at how little it takes to feel like you've been helped.

Lastly, I think one of the most amazing things that I have watched over the last two-and-a-half years of your existence here on this planet, is you growing into yourself and becoming aware of the world. We saw a sign for "Kids Hair" the other day and you said "That's where we go!"

Just amazing.

Here are a few pix from Junes present and past.




You on our nature walk.


You getting your medal upon completion of your class at The Little Gym.


You, one year ago this month.


You, two years ago this month.

No comments: