Sunday, April 25, 2010

Words

David Foster Wallace is my "meat and potatoes" reading. I've been trying to get through Infinite Jest now for a while, but his essays are a bit more easily consumed when you've got only a small amount of time. In any case, the words that he circled in his dictionary are illuminating.

Ten is an excellent reader and we rarely have to prod her away from the television toward the written word but the other day when I saw her checking out a stack of "trash" from the library (for the third time) I decided that it was time for an intervention. I used the "meat-and-potatoes" analogy and followed it up with the healthy food/exercise/dessert analogy. Fortunately, in the realm of reading she does enough exercise that a little candy is fine as long as she's also checking out some Newbery Award Winners.

No comments: