Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Swinger

Since it is finally thawed here, we've been spending a lot of time in the back yard on the swingset with the neighbors in the evenings. Mr. Big's got his little swing, the SYO and her compatriates have swinging contests and the rest of us kick around a soccer ball, getting eaten up (already) by the soon-to-be occupying force of mosquitos.

Last night the SYO was attempting a dismount when, at the last moment, after having taken her hands off of the swing's ropes, she changed her mind and stayed on the swing for another cycle.

It was one of those slow motion moments for me, sitting on the hammock across the yard with the baby.

I thought to myself: Oh, she decided not to jump. Then: Uh oh. This is not good. She's let go of the ropes!

On the back end of the swing's trajectory, she fell out, landing on all fours. We exchanged an agonizing look that felt like it lasted for 3 minutes.

Later, she comes up to me and says:

That swing is my boyfriend.

Oh?
[as casually as possible. Where does she get this terminology?]

Yeah. And he DUMPED me!

?

No comments: