Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Highs and Lows

Another thing we do during dinner is "highs and lows."

I think we got it from some cheezy movie like The Story of Us or something, but its a great little tradition. Basically, you go around the table and announce your best and worst parts of the day.

We've decided that if one has no actual low, that in the rare occurance that one has not had chocolate on any given day, that that is automatically one's low.

Speaking of highs and lows, I just received a little parcel from my department yesterday filled with a month's worth of mail. Its high and low included:

Low: A rejection from the Journal of Economic Education. My paper was, apparently, not right for their journal (they claimed that it attempted to bridge, unsucessfully, a new teaching technique as well as an evaluation of that technique) and they didn't even send it out to reviewers. Definitely a new low for me.

High: My student evaluation numbers. In my intermediate micro course the students either gave me a lovely pre-tenure gift, or they simply didn't hate me as much as I thouht they would. Sure, they hated me, but it wasn't near as bad as I expected!

No comments: