Monday, March 21, 2005

Brady Bunch as Metaphor

I find myself lately making metaphorical references to the Brady Bunch to get my points across.

The show, despite not having seen it in nearly a decade (why can I literally turn the television on at any time of day or night and see Rachel Green, but not Marsha Brady?) is infiltrating my conscience.
For example, when discussing the logistical arrangements of a possible new child (no -- we don't have any news) I reference the FYO's inevitable desire for her very own "Greg-Brady-Room" with the bead-door, on a separate floor of the house.

Oh, and of course, there's the regular exclamation of "Oh! My Nose!" and "Mom always told us: Don't play ball in the house!"

Recently though, I've found myself singing that Davey Jones song "Girl" in an over-the-top British accent to BioMom and the FYO in the car. Its from the episode "Getting Davey Jones"
Third Season, 1971-72, number 63. Original airdate: December 10, 1971, Directed by Oscar Rudolph. Written by Phil Leslie and Al Schwartz

If you don't recall, its the episode where Marcia, president of the Davy Jones fan club at school, rashly promises to get him to appear at the prom when she doesn't even know how to get in touch with him. Davey Jones eventually shows up and sings the song "Girl" (which, incidently, I can't find on any actual Monkees album, other than what seems to be a summer tour album where he sings the song apparently on request and actually references Marsha at the beginning) to Marsha. Afterwards, he
kisses her cheek, launching her into a dreamy spin where she refuses to wash ever again.


The FYO, however, complains that my version is "too short" because, of course, I don't know all the words.

You should hear the FYO try to imitate my horrible British accent.

PRICELESS.

The song:
Girl.
Look what you've done to me.
Me.
And my whole world.
Girl.
You've brought the sun to me.
With your smile.
Ya did it girl.
I'm telling you, girl.
Something unknown to me.
Makes you what you are.
And what you are
Is all
That I want for me.
And its good
To feel that way girl!
Thank you, GIRL!
For makin' the night times nicer, GIRL!
For makin' the good times brighter, GIRL!
For makin' a bettah world for me!
I'm telling you, girl.
Something unknown to me
Makes you what you are
And what you are,
Is all
that I want for me!
And its good
To feel
That way, girl.
Thank you GIRL!
For makin' the night times nicer, GIRL
For makin' the good times brighter GIRL
For makin' a bettah world for me!

Thank you GIRL!
For makin' the winter warmer GIRL
for makin' the music softer, GIRL!
For makin' a bettah world for me!
Thank you Giiiiiirl!!

No comments: